Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Week #4, Things #8 & 9 - RSS

I started using Bloglines about a year ago as my RSS aggregator and then after reading many comparisons I switched to Google Reader about three months ago. As with everything there are positives and negatives to both. I like the ease with which I can scroll through all the entries in Google Reader, but if I have over 100 entries it's a little overwhelming. Something about the magic number of 100 often leads me to mark all as read so as to start fresh the next day.

I check approximately 15 library-related blogs every day, plus a few personal blogs interspersed (including "Unshelved" as a great way to start the day). Some of my favorites are Will Richardson's Weblogg-ed, Librarian in Black, LISNews.org, The Shifted Librarian, The Liminal Librarian, and The Free Range Librarian.

I love getting different perspectives and ideas from across librarianship, which is why I read public, academic, and school librarians' work. It is easy to add RSS feeds until they are scrolling off your list, and then the daily reading becomes a task instead of an informative session. Google Reader has a nice feature where you can see when your feeds were last updated and I occasionally check that and delete blogs that have not been updated in a month or more.

I also learned how to set up an RSS feed for our school's website and a parent emailed me last week to tell me he had actually added us to his aggregator! It was an exciting moment because I thought I was the only one reading my own feed. It also changes what and how often I post news items, with an audience paying attention it's an important communication tool between school and home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that parents are finding out about you via RSS!
How much time to you end up spending on reading library blogs? I've been trying to stay current with different blogs, but find that it's taking up so much time. Which is too bad, because they're all so interesting! How do you handle this? Do you contribute to them also?
Connie [CSLA 2.0 team]