Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Week #5, Thing #12 - Rollyo and Customized Search Boxes

I created a Rollyo Search Box for our 2nd grade insect project that happens each spring (the teacher includes me in all of the process, from creating questions to drive the research to bibliographies. I love it!).


Powered by Rollyo


I like the idea of allowing students to do their own research within my parameters, especially in 2nd grade. There is a similar project in Google, which I learned about at ALA in June. I spent quite a while talking to their presenters in the exhibit hall about the possibilities of their Google Custom Search Engine. The drawback to the Google version is that you link to it:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=007649519766978825023%3Apqltbc20qce

It's an extra step for the students, instead of being embedded in a website like the Rollyo version. Maybe Google will take that step soon.

Practicing research skills without worrying about inappropriate sites and not relying on filters, which we know don't work any way, seems like a great compromise for younger students in particular.

No comments: